I am an artist from West Sussex. The three pillars my work seeks to interrogate are: Grief, Transformation and Divinity.
Becoming widowed in mid-2021 catalysed a profound shift in my work (and all things) and I am currently engaged in producing a new body of textile masks. The themes remain unchanged; however, this work originates from a more personal place of processing my own grief, and aspires to create a liminal place for the wearer to inhabit and feel their own responses, whatever that is.
Not only concealing, but releasing, communing, becoming other, experiencing the otherness and othering of grief, and creating a sacred ritual object.
Marrying symbol and object and experience. Imagining a reinvocation of ancient ways and future practices.
Kate’s work has featured in publications and exhibitions internationally.
She mentors and teaches textile art techniques to students from around the world via her workshops, one-to-one and online classes.
- 2022 – Artist in Residence, Mauser Foundation, Costa Rica
- 2022 – Finalist Mentor, Hand & Lock Prize for Embroidery
- 2021 – Moon, Group show, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2021 – Hand & Lock Embroidered Arts Exhibition, OXO Bargehouse, London
- 2021 – Finalist Mentor, Hand & Lock Prize for Embroidery
- 2020 – Pura Vida, Group Show, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2020 – Beyond Ruin, Remembrance Day For Lost Species Exhibition, artist and co-curator, ONCA Gallery, Brighton
- 2020 – Third Kind Records, Bary Center ‘Guide Me Through The Hills Of Your Home’ album artwork
- 2020 – Shortlisted for David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of The Year – third place winner People’s Choice Award
- 2020 – Finalist Mentor, Hand & Lock Prize for Embroidery
- 2020 – Artist in Residence, Mauser Foundation, Costa Rica
- 2019 – Elephant, Group Show, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2019 – Artistic collaboration with Ellie Mac Embroidery, Limited Edition patch series
- 2019 – International Contemporary Stitched Art Exhibition, Society For Embroidered Work, Clerkenwell Gallery, London (juried)
- 2019 – #BeJane Exhibition and Auction for Jane Goodall Institute, Vienna (juried)
- 2018 – Natural Fibres, solo show, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2018 – Xmas Artist Fair, Worthing
- 2018 – Accepted as member of the Society of Embroidered Work
- 2018 – Artistic collaboration with Ellie Mac Embroidery, Limited Edition patch series
- 2018 – Worthing Artist Open House, Worthing Art Trail
- 2018 – Brighton Gin Art Prize, 2nd place winner, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2017 – Extinct Icons and Ritual Burials – part of Remembrance Day for Lost Species, ONCA, Brighton
- 2017 – Third Kind Records, Embla Quickbeam/Graham Dunning ‘Inside Memory’s Head’ album artwork
- 2017 – Artistic collaboration with Ellie Mac Embroidery, Limited Edition patch series
- 2017 – Stitch-Up, Brush Gallery, Brighton
- 2016 – Hex-mas Bazaar, Corridor Gallery, Brighton
- 2016 – Botanica, Light Grey Art Lab, Minneapolis
- 2015 – Miniature Art Extravaganza, Ghost Gallery, Seattle
- 2020 – The Art Of Mourning In The Anthropocene, part of ‘Mapping the Anthropocene in Ōtepoti/Dunedin’ symposium, featured artist.
- 2020 – Stitch Magazine, Interview feature, October/November issue
- 2019 – Pikchur Magazine, featured artist (US)
- 2018 – Dark Mountain Anthology, featured artist
- 2017 – Embroidery Magazine, News feature, Nov/Dec issue
- 2016 – Homespun Magazine, ‘Best Textile Mushrooms’
- 2013 – Lily In The Labyrinth (website), Review, October
- 2013 – Central Library Arts Division (website), Review, July
- 2013 – She Walks Softly (website), Review, May
- 2012 – Mr X Stitch (website), The Cutting (And Stitching) Edge feature, November
- 2012 – Cross Stitcher Magazine, Embroidered Jewellery feature, September issue
- 2022/3 – Embroidery Magazine, artist feature, Dec/Jan issue
- 2022 – TextileArtist.org, Interview feature
- 2021 – TextileArtist.org, Interview feature
- 2021 – Talk, Beyond Ruin: Meet the Artists, ONCA, as part of RDLS 2020
- 2020 – Interview, Stichery Stories podcast
- 2020 – Interview, FiberTalk podcast
- 2018 – Interview, Craft With Conscience, Sarah K Benning
- 2018 – Interview, Narratives of Artistic Identity, Sol Howard
- 2017 – Memory Beyond the Human, Time Studies Cluster, University of Sussex
- 2017 – Unveiling the Cheetah, Booth Museum of Natural History, in association with ONCA, Brighton
- 2017 – Embellished Talk (website), Interview, June
- 2013 – Rosie and the Boys (website), Interview, May
- 2012 – Feeling Stitchy, Interview, August