Let’s go back a stage. So I knew the 2nd swan would be quicker to do than the first as all the decisions had been made and I was essentially copying. This first pic is actually what I did last Sunday after the mega stitchathon. Over Thursday, Friday and Saturday I did the rest:
So it’s gone from this:
The finished pair. If it was mine, I would call it ‘Swans Kissing In The Snow’. I added just a sprinkling of french knots to prevent them looking like they were floating, like stickers.
I’ll even show you that taboo area – the reverse!
So here’s the technical specifications for all the embroidery geeks. The colour palette comprises 11 DMC Stranded Mouline (yep, that sheen comes from laying your stitches in one direction and is only cotton) and 1 shade of unbleached spun silk (the tail). There are 7 shades of white in the bodies, black and grey in the feet and 2 shades of orange in the beaks. I used a #5 Sharps needle for the whole thing. Some people may be surprised at this – it’s a basic household needle. But it’s my needle of choice – I like the even width, the size of the eye, the length. I changed it regularly to maintain the sharpness.